Business Positions

Account Executive

About the Position

The local and national sales teams are responsible for pursuing executive sales contracts that are critical to The Daily Californian’s success.

As an account executive, you will build and maintain key relationships with our most important advertising clients. Executives consult with their clients and address their marketing needs in order to drive mutually beneficial deals. Local account executives work with local companies and businesses, such as the San Francisco Symphony. National account executives work with large corporations, such as AT&T and GitHub. The 10-hour weekly commitment includes making sales, but it is also augmented with professional development, innovative ad projects and data analysis to help you learn how to make data-driven decisions. You will be encouraged to work with various other business departments, including marketing, distribution and production, to provide greater value to your clients. After a year, account executives can become sales managers and help transform the newspaper’s business operations.

No prior business experience is required. Applicants should be goal-oriented, persuasive and have a drive to succeed in the business world. If you want to become a part of this rapidly changing industry, this is the perfect opportunity for you. Our executives have been able to leverage the skills they gained on this team to secure opportunities in a multitude of industries and companies including the Federal Reserve, Microsoft, and KPMG.

Application Materials

• Resume (PDF)
  • Cover letter (PDF)
  • Individual interview (invitation only)
  • Group interview (invitation only)

Work Requirements

• 10 hours per week
  • Mandatory weekly team meeting and professional development

Leadership Opportunities

• Account executives have the opportunity to move up to the position of senior account executive, assistant sales manager and then sales manager.

Apply