Editorial Positions

Arts and Entertainment Reporter

About the Position

Berkeley is nothing if not a vast battleground of artistic events all vying for the attention of reviews sections.

The San Francisco Bay Area is a hotbed of free concerts, films, poetry readings, festivals, community theater, art gallery openings and fashion events. The list is virtually inexhaustible. It is the arts reporter’s job to put it all under close and frequent scrutiny so that a pop-culture-hungry Berkeley public will know what is worth checking out.

An arts and entertainment reporter will publish an average of four articles per month on subjects that relate to film, television, music, theatre, fashion, visual art, literature, etc. Articles may be reviews of events/recently-released content, recaps, “thinkpieces” and more. Reporters will work closely with the editors of the department to transform a draft into a final product.

Prior experience is not required to be an arts and entertainment reporter. Stand-out applicants are very communicative and proactive, and they possess strong persuasive and descriptive writing skills, a passion for arts and pop culture and a willingness to accept constructive criticism. Reporters must be available to attend events taking place in the Bay Area and should always be prepared to make deadlines.

Application Materials

• Resume with relevant experience (PDF)
  • Cover letter (PDF)
  • 2-4 writing clips
    • Preferred clips are arts-related reviews or thinkpieces (published or unpublished). They can each range from 700-1500 words.
    • If you don’t have clips, you can write a 700-word review of anything arts-related or a 1000-word thinkpiece on an arts-related topic.
    • Please either save your clips as PDFs or create a single PDF with links to your clips.
  • Another PDF with short responses to the following:
    • List a few of your favorite films, musicians, books, artists, etc.
    • After perusing some of our content, is there an arts and entertainment piece published in the Daily Cal that you particularly enjoy? Why do you like this piece?
  • Interview (invitation only)

Work Requirements

• Four pieces per month
  • Weekly arts staff meeting

Leadership Opportunities

• After serving as arts and entertainment reporters, staffers have the opportunity to specialize in a specific entertainment area. A staffer may go on to become the assistant arts and entertainment editor or the arts and entertainment editor.

Past Projects and Samples