Editorial Positions

Social Media Staffer

About the Position

The Daily Californian is looking to hire a small team of individuals with a finger on the pulse of social media trends and viral content.

**Applicants should be aware that this position differs from the marketing associate position (which can be found here) in both the scope of duties and team environment. The marketing team and social media team do, however, work closely together.

After years of hiring internally, the Daily Cal is now opening up applications for our social media team to new hires. We’re looking for people with a passion for journalism, pop culture and social media. Applicants should have strong communication, decision-making and proofreading skills. Experience with web search optimization, online publications, visual aesthetics and social media platforms is preferred, but not required. As part of the social media team, you should be ready to brainstorm unique social media campaigns and interesting ways to increase audience engagement. You should also expect to work closely with various editorial departments and topics to best promote content, as well as business departments to manage engagement levels. Essentially, you will be responsible for everything the Daily Cal shares on social media.

Members of the social media department are expected to commit at least 10 hours per week to the job in addition to attending a weekly meeting.

Application Materials

• Resume (PDF)
  • A PDF with short responses to the following:
    • How many hours can you commit per week? What are your other predominant time commitments this semester?
    • What social media experience do you have?
    • Which platform (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or other) are you most comfortable with?
    • Who or what are your favorite social media accounts?
    • Reviewing the Daily Cal’s social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram), what are two pitches or ideas you have for how we can improve our online presence and/or engagement?
  • A compilation of your favorite personal posts on social media (Medium or PDF) (optional)
  • Interview (invitation only)

Work Requirements

• Be on call for one platform (Facebook, Twitter or Instagram) three days per week (approximately 10 hours)
  • Be able to respond to breaking news quickly
  • Come up with long-term plans for how best to move the social media department forward
  • Weekly social media staff meeting

Leadership Opportunities

• After serving on the social media team, a staffer may go on to become an assistant social media editor or the social media editor.

Apply