Technology Positions

Projects Developer

About the Position

Projects developers will join a small team dedicated to publishing cutting-edge data journalism, news apps and interactive graphics.

**Applicants should be aware that this position differs from the web developer position (which can be found here) in both the scope of projects and team environment.

In the same vein as leading news outlets, The Daily Californian is seeking to push beyond the print format with projects made possible by the online medium. Projects developers work on mapsexplainersinteractive charts and databases — all with a really quick turnaround and a big impact. Check out this sexual misconduct database or this analysis of grades for examples of our work. More are available on our projects website.

We’re seeking data-driven reporters interested in analyzing campus and city issues, developers interested in web applications that add interactivity to the news and front-end designers interested in finding the clearest, most visually interesting way to explain what’s going on in Berkeley.

You’ll have a lot of flexibility to pick projects that interest you, but developers are expected to spend at least ten hours per week in the office, in addition to attending a weekly meeting.

This team is developing rapidly, so you’ll have the freedom to experiment with the latest tools and technologies — and the work you do will become the standard for future Daily Cal developers. We’re passionate about open source, and all of our data and code will be available to the public on GitHub.

• An interest in and familiarity with the news
  • Knowledge of at least one programming language — this could be related to data analysis (Python, R), front-end design (Javascript, HTML, CSS) or web application development (Django, Node.js, Rails)
  • Desire to build cool projects with a very fast development cycle (think days and weeks, not months)

Application Materials

• Resume (PDF) that details your programming background
  • Cover letter (PDF) that includes a few ideas for projects we could develop using Berkeley-specific data or that are particularly relevant to our community
  • Another PDF that includes:
    • A link to your portfolio or GitHub profile (if you don’t have one, a few examples of projects you’ve worked on)
    • A link to a data-driven project from another news outlet that you find particularly cool and a short paragraph about why
  • Interview (invitation only)

Leadership Opportunities

• After serving as a projects developer, a staffer may go on to become the assistant projects editor or the projects editor.