Production Positions

Production Designer

About the Position

The Daily Californian’s Production Department works with the editorial and business arms of the newspaper.  Our Day Production Team designs advertisements and experiences for print and online but also creates exciting materials for all parts of our company.  Production is a kind of ‘internal agency’ for the whole newspaper: helping plan and promote editorial projects, advertising plans or creating entire campaigns for businesses. Our range of projects varies, but, we have made full-campaign materials for The Oakland Athletics, and the New York Times.

Responsibilities include: designing advertisements, creating in-house promotional material, creating print or web marketing and media campaigns, multi-tasking in a fast-paced environment, collaborating with members throughout the Daily Cal, designing and scheduling online ads, designing other miscellaneous print materials.

Being a student-run press, we realize that student schedules are hectic and unpredictable. Hours are very flexible. Likewise, we understand that not everyone has had design experience in the past and we welcome candidates who feel motivated to learn and who are easily trainable.

Day Production Artists work a maximum of 10 hours a week, flexibly scheduled between M-F 12pm to 5pm, including bi-weekly department meetings.

Work Environment: The Daily Californian is dedicated to providing a safe and encouraging learning environment. We are open to new ideas and hope to compile a great and effective team while fostering positive and fun relationships. Trust, loyalty, innovation, passion, and job satisfaction are key!

If you would like to get real world experience with flexible student hours in a fun and casual environment, apply now!

1. Strong written and oral communication skills
  2. Quick learner
  3. Attention to detail
  4. Effectively meet deadlines
  5. Highly motivated self-starter
  6. Works well in a fast-paced environment
  7. Background in design and production a plus, but not required
  8. Working knowledge of InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop required
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and portfolio with 4-8 design pieces preferred in your online application. 

Apply