Editorial Positions

Environment Blogger

About the Position

About the position:

Earth to Berkeley is an environment-focused blog that highlights environmental issues, activism and research at UC Berkeley and the City of Berkeley to the wider campus community. As a blogger writing for Earth to Berkeley, you will have the opportunity to write informative pieces about environmental issues and ongoing research in an easily digestible style, report on workshops and events at UC Berkeley with an environmental focus, interview and write features on environmental activists, student groups, professors and research scientists, as well as work on long-term in-depth enterprise stories relating to the environment. 

The ability to research, work under pressure and write clearly and concisely is important for this position. 

Application Materials

• Resume (PDF, about one page in length)
  • Cover letter (PDF, about one page in length)
  • Two mock articles that could be published in the Earth to Berkeley Blog (PDFs)
  • Interview (invitation only)

Work Requirements

• One article per week
  • Weekly staff meeting/training session 
  • Bi-weekly editing session
    • Reduced workload option: The Daily Cal understands that some applicants may have disabilities and/ or extenuating circumstances that would prevent them from writing two articles a week, such as a necessary, paying job that takes up a significant amount of time outside of classes. If this is the case, applicants may choose to apply for a reduced workload reporter position, which would involve writing one article per week instead of two.

Leadership Opportunities

• After serving as an environment blog writer, a staffer may go on to become a deputy blog editor or the blog editor.

Past Projects and Samples

Apply