Editorial Positions

Social Media Designer

About the Position

The Daily Californian is looking to hire a small team of individuals with a finger on the pulse of social media trends and viral content.

We’re looking for people with a passion for journalism, pop culture and social media. Applicants should have strong visual and communication skills. Knowledge of Canva (or similar design programs) is required, and any experience with web search optimization, online publications and social media platforms is preferred.

As part of the social media team, you should be ready to brainstorm unique social media campaigns and interesting ways to increase audience engagement. You should also expect to work closely with various editorial departments to best promote content, as well as business departments to manage engagement levels. Essentially, you will be responsible for creating original visual content for the social media department.

Application Materials

• Resume (PDF)
  • Two or three sample graphics (PDFs)
  • A PDF with short responses to the following:
    • How many hours can you commit per week? What are your other predominant time commitments this semester?
    • What social media experience do you have?
    • Which platform (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or other) are you most comfortable with?
    • What are your favorite social media accounts?
    • Reviewing the Daily Cal’s social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram), what are two pitches or ideas you have for how we can improve our online presence and/or engagement?
  • A compilation of your favorite personal posts on social media (Medium or PDF) (optional)
  • Interview (invitation only)
  • Design test (invitation only)

Work Requirements

• Design at least 2 graphics per week
  • Come up with long-term plans for how best to move the social media department forward
  • Weekly social media staff meeting

Leadership Opportunities

• After serving on the social media team, a staffer may go on to become a deputy social media editor or the social media editor.

Apply