The Weekender is The Daily Californian’s online culture magazine, looking at the Berkeley community and Bay Area through in-depth reporting, commentary and other forms of writing and art. The Weekender is rather flexible, and we publish once a week on Sundays. If you want to grow as a writer and/or artist, this is the perfect department for you.
We’re looking for staff members who want to write in a variety of different styles. These include features, interviews, cultural commentary, fiction and personal essays, creative writing and cartoons/comics. No prior experience necessary — all you need is passion and a sense of creativity.
- Resume (PDF, about one page in length)
- Cover letter that includes why you’re interested in joining the Weekender (PDF, about one page in length)
- Three writing clips, including at least one feature or commentary style piece (unpublished or published)
- There is no rough minimum or maximum for word count. A poem could be just three words long, but a feature could be 1000 words long.
- Please submit pieces you feel best reflect your personal voice as an expository and/or creative writer. We do not accept academic writing.
- Please either save your writing clips as PDFs or create a single PDF with links to your clips. Art samples can be either PDFs or photos.
- Interview (invitation only)
- Three pieces per semester
- Weekly Weekender staff meeting
- After serving as a Weekender writer, a staffer may go on to become the deputy Weekender editor or the Weekender editor.